Anyway, as he's kicking off his shoes, he asks the typical question. "How was your day?"
I had no idea. And, looking like the proper confused American in a foreign speaking nation, I just stared at him, trying to figure out the answer.
So, he tried again. "Did you have a nice day?"
Finally...it dawns on me.
Kate: "My day blew up."
McLovin: "Blew up?"
Kate: "Yeah. It wasn't really a day, I don't think. It was more like little explosions of moments that sorta used up all the hours."
McLovin: "Hmm, OK. I saw the list you made last night."
Kate: "Yeah. Blew up."
McLovin: "It was a big list."
Kate: [mimics sound of explosion]
Let me digress for a moment. McLovin and I are list people. Love to make lists, love to scratch things off the list when I'm done. Really love to make lists of things I need to make lists of...It's my List List. I love my List List. Because it's like the Godfather of all the Other Lists. McLovin will say, "we need to start thinking of what we want to do with the landscaping since the snow is finally gone." And I'll be all happy that I get to add "Landscaping List" to my List List, which means at some time in the near future, I'll make a list of all the things that need to happen outside. The List List basically reminds me of all the things I need to keep track of, just not today. It's like the Planning-for-the-Future List.
[Editor's Note: Is it just me, or is the word list starting to not look like a real word anymore? - Kate]
Anyway, back to the digression...here's the thing with my Lists. If it's Tuesday's List or Safeway List or whatever, I need to get that sh*t done that day. McLovin can write the same thing on his list for 649 days in a row. Doesn't mean it will get done. Ever. He has had "Frequent Flyer Info" on his list for the entire time I've known him. Still hasn't organized the frequent flyer miles. But every Saturday, it's on the list.
I mean, if that's the case, write random crap on it you know you'll never do. "Rob Bank" "Get Fake Boobs" "Electrocute Self with Scissors and Outlet" "Call About Pet Tiger" "Win Nobel Prize" "Buy Pet Tiger" -- The list could literally be endless. Because, I don't know about you, but I can think of about ten jillion things I never plan to do.
My probelm, however, seemed in this case to be with the eight things that I did need to do. The Monday List. The Monday List that Blew Up.
- Drop kids off at school and return home to shower before taking Happy to school
- Return to school 15 minutes later, still unshowered, because Lefty forgot his homework folder with the permission form he needed by that day
- Return to school 10 minutes after I get home for the second time because McGee left her Patrol Belt at home and, "moooooom, I can't do my patrol without my belt" -- I was half in the shower when she called. Left the house in jeans, McLovin's sweatshirt, no bra and wet, but not yet washed, hair. Super.
- Race through shower, take Happy to school, forget tuition check again (because it's NOT ON THE LIST!)
- Get made fun of by Lydia in the parking lot for looking like a Wet Hot Mess.
- Return home AGAIN to finish getting ready
- Leave for Costco, only to arrive with no Costco card. List? Yes. Card? Nope.
- Scream obscenities in the car
- Call about microwave in Costco parking lot. They don't service microwaves. Best bet is to buy a new one.
- Add "Buy Microwave" to Tuesday's List. Fan.Tas.Tic.
- Realize forgot to give geriatric dog medication. Return home. Again. Take microwave information inside for research after kids go to bed.
- Go to pick up Happy.
- Call Dentist. Get the machine. They close at noon on Monday. "Please call back tomorrow." Please. Go. Suck. It.
- Leave for Safeway. As I'm making the drive, I'm doing an inventory on the passenger seat. Happy? Yep. List? Yep. Coupons? Yep. Purse? Purse? WTF? Realize purse is on kitchen counter. With microwave information. Mu.Thur.Fur.Ker.
- Sit in car on side of road.
- Listen to Happy say "Mur. Thur. Fur. Ker." Try not to laugh.
- Watch BIG Walgreen's 18-wheeler pull up next to me. Maude-face the driver.
- Agree to lead him to road he can't seem to find. Get directions off my Precious. Write them down. Pat self of back for being a Good Citizen.
- Race back to Lefty's school AGAIN for Music Demonstration Class. Best part of my day. Get to cross something off my goddamn list.
- Call American Express. Don't remember my "personal 4-digit security code" that I created 87 years ago. Hang up.
- Add "Find AmEx PIN" and lots of curse words to my Tuesday list
- Add "Rewrite Tuesday List" to today's list -- stupid brain.
- Go back home. Purse is mocking me on the counter.
- Realize Happy hasn't had lunch. Oops. Go to find youngest child to provide nourishment, even though I've failed at both attempts to purchase nourishment. Find him asleep on the floor.
- Sit down at computer to RSVP. Realize date might have a conflict. Need to talk to McLovin.
- Add "McLovin RSVP?" to newly written Tuesday List
- Call kid across street to sit in my house with Happy so I can go get McGee and Lefty.
- Return to school for 6,000th time today. Principal says, "Nice to see you again." I'm pretty sure you get in trouble for telling the principal to Suck It.
- Return home. Again. I spent the whole damn day in the car. Drove 83 miles and never got further than 6 miles away from my house.
- Add "Get Gas" to Tuesday's List
- Assist with homework, reading, school projects, preventing injuries, playing Bad Cop and fixing snacks.
He suggests, ever so gently, that maybe I shouldn't be quite so list manic.
I tell him I'll think about it. After he goes to bed, I look at my List List. At the bottom I write "Less Lists?" But I write it in pencil. I can totally erase that.
Oh, one last thing...
RfM Housekeeping + New
Subscribe in a reader
(c)Herding Turtles, Inc. 2009 - 2010