Sunday, May 9, 2010
Happy Mother's Day from Aunt Mary
When I was walking the dogs this morning I had a list in my head of all sorts of wonderful things I would share. Well that was then and this is now and I can't remember any of them.
Ooops… Here they are.
1. Find a church with lots of old people and no kids. Take your children there. One of two things will happen. Either you will be asked not to come back OR they will be so thrilled to see little people they will ignore everything wrong the kids do. Quaker meetings are also good for this.
2. Make sure you get yourself to the dentist at least once a year.
3. Go for your physical. In fact, ask Dad to make the appointment for you.
4. Don't beat yourselves up about things. What is done today is over. There will be fresh poop in the potty tomorrow.
5. Laugh. Take pictures.
6. Keep in touch with friends, both the mommy friends and the rest of your network.
7. Buy your own presents and don't resent the fact that you do. Ask your husband for a love letter now and then.
8. Be thankful. If all you have to face in life is what Kate and Lydia have covered so far, you are leading fairytale lives.
This last may be the most important and I don't mean anything critical by using the word Fairytale. My youngest son needed open heart surgery at age 7, and survived. Other parents lose children, through crime and accident and disease. We are lucky that our babies grow up and get on with their own lives.
So have a happy Mother's day and enjoy the attention. I am proud of you all and send you hugs and kisses.
PS: If you’re wondering who in the blue blazes Aunt Mary is – click here.
Subscribe in a reader
(c)Herding Turtles, Inc. 2009 - 2010
Guru Louise and I asked you about what most teachers really want for end of the year gifts. We got hundreds of answers on Facebook , Tw...
So last summer, my youngest daughter (age 5) began seeing previews for a new Dora show called Dora and Friends: Into the City! Gone was th...
Whole30 Day 0: Later this week, I'm starting a diet/nutrition/sadness program called Whole30 . Where you eat nothing but strict Pa...
HOW TO DRIVE YOUR MOTHER CRAZY BEFORE 8AM (in just 21 easy steps) 1. In the middle of the night, go stand next to your mother’s bed, a...
We’ve had a lot of people ask us to write a post about the seemingly innocent topic of the Mother-in-Law. Seriously, people? Are you kidding...
It seems to me that one of the most important things that no one told me about parenthood is that three is worse than two. Everyone is sort ...
A couple of weeks ago, we asked you for your thoughts on ways that kids can help in their communities. Why? Because we want to raise li...
When I got the email with this guest post in it, I was very happy because I know a bunch of moms with ADD or ADHD - and you know what? ...
This was originally published in May 2010: In the past 24 hours, I have gotten three phone calls from friends of mine and they all starte...
Last Friday, roughly 25% of the second grade at my kids' school was sent home with a nasty stomach bug that had kids puking in buckets...