When Kate went through her winter purge a few months ago, she got rid of fourteen thousand pounds of toys. Lydia managed to just shuffle hers about the house so that it looked like some of them were gone, but really they were just shoved under the sofa cushions. Also, her dining room table is now entirely made out of Legos and playdough. And when the Cap'n starts asking about the previous dining room table, we just have massive fits of coughing. I think he's going to have us examined for rabies or something. The point of this was to encourage the children to play with the carefully selected collection of toys we did keep in the house; and, more specifically, NOT to create new toys out of things that are not toys. Fail and FAIL.
These ARE NOT TOYS:
10. Action figures placed gingerly on the blades of the ceiling fan. Then turning on the ceiling fan.
9. Tampons. Though they are fun to peel and fun to shoot like rockets, they are in fact feminine hygiene products and not toys that come in a convenient 8-pack. Also, they don't go up your nose.
8. Dental floss.
6. Band aids. Just no. They also are not a replacement for tape, even though Mommy's done that.
5. Christmas lights after they're taken off the house but before they're put away that make a very satisfying crunchy-poppy sound when you stomp them. Santa can't find the house if we don't decorate it. Really? You don't believe me? Let's find out, shall we? My guess is, you'll cave right around Christmas Eve.
4. Boogers. Also not food. Or adhesive. Or part of a Super Duper Wet Willy. That's just gross.
3. Used bubble wrap = toy. New bubble wrap still encased in its original wrapping = not a toy. Also not a jacket. Or padding to be worn while intentionally running into walls.
2. Deodorant. Not for bellies. Or tongues - of course it tastes dry. Knucklehead.
1. Batteries are not toys. Batteries go in toys. All kinds of toys. Batteries do not belong in your mouth unless you want mommy to have an eye twitch. And please stop saying "CLEAR!" and touching the 9-volt to your tongue. Yes, I know it tingles. Though I didn't know it made you pee a little. Really? Can I try?
(c)Herding Turtles, Inc. 2009 - 2011
So last summer, my youngest daughter (age 5) began seeing previews for a new Dora show called Dora and Friends: Into the City! Gone was th...
This is not a sponsored post. I just really love the TV show "The Goldbergs". Do you guys watch The Goldbergs ? It's about...
Guru Louise and I asked you about what most teachers really want for end of the year gifts. We got hundreds of answers on Facebook , Tw...
Today's guest post comes from our pal Becky, who was one of the first people to read our blog that we were not actually related to. ...
I need to introduce my friend to you my friend Katherine. A couple of months ago, she told me she was going to start writing and I was ...
I sometimes think I'm the only one who wonders about bizarro things like if the Blue Wiggle is hot in real life* or what the hell happen...
It's winter and its freezing and it's always dark and everyone is sort of sick. So at my house, it is the season of watching too muc...
I was recently informed that people really enjoy reading about all the ways I make an ass of myself in public. Here's the good news: exa...
I’ve written a lot about my baby lately. The baby who’s not really a baby anymore but rather a two year old cupcake baked by the devil . ...
It seems to me that one of the most important things that no one told me about parenthood is that three is worse than two. Everyone is sort ...