A long time ago my friend Kate told me that "back to school" is actually a six week transition period. I’ve outlined below how it works at my house with my three kids.
Week One: The Pregame (the week before school starts)
- Kids are generally feeling excited, happy, and slightly anxious.
- Find out about teachers, schedules, classmates, and lockers.
- Celebrate or freak out accordingly.
- Hemorrhage money on last-minute items for school/sports/fashion that are suddenly required.
- Look around the house and shake your head sadly about all the long term projects that did not get done this summer.
- Savor those last moments sleeping in and going to the pool.
- Fill out approximately 4,567 pages of forms.
- Go back and forth about putting kids to bed early/waking them up early to prepare them for the coming schedule change.
- Give up on that shit because it’s all a goat rodeo at this point in August.
- JUST TRY TO STAY POSITIVE.